Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Decorative Column...from Brassy Gold to Concrete Chic

 
Last Saturday morning I set off to Camas Antiques for a Chalk Paint® demo.  My mom had just given me this heavy, ornate, solid plaster column, and I thought it would be a fun piece to demonstrate my favorite decorative paint on! 
 
 
The column had been previously spray painted a bright, shiny gold and was desperately in need of a Chalk Paint® update!
 
 
I had to really push my brush into all of those nooks and crannies to fully cover the bright gold paint.
 
 
  After roughly 2 coats of French Linen, there was no sign of the original shiny gold finish.
 
 
I let the paint dry overnight before applying a wash in Old White.  Normally I wouldn't wait this long, but I wanted to be absolutely sure that I didn't reveal any gold during the wash or wax process.  I have a tendency to be a little aggressive with my buffing, and sometimes buff away the paint in spots on a shiny surface.  I am learning to be more gentle, but in this case allowing the paint to dry overnight seemed to do the trick!
 
 
I love how the Old White wash brought out the amazing imagery here as there are so many interesting things going on with this piece.  It was hard to fully appreciate the details when it was painted a solid color.
 
 
I brought the column outside this afternoon to take advantage of the beautiful, soft overcast lighting and to photograph my lovely pink magnolia tree.  Because I did wax this piece with Annie Sloan's soft, clear wax, it isn't suitable to be left outside.  Anything painted with Chalk Paint® intended for outdoor use, should never be waxed as the wax doesn't hold up well to the elements.
 
 
These blooms are so wonderfully fragrant!  I had forgotten just how lovely their scent was until I brought a branch inside to enjoy.  It filled the whole kitchen with it's heavenly fragrance!  I wish this tree would bloom all year long!
 
Thank you so much for your sweet visit!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda
 
 
  
Sharing With:

Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Inspiration Gallery at Craftberry Bush
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch To Yours
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground 
 Friday's Unfolded at Nancherrow

15 comments:

  1. Really well done, Amanda. And you're right, doing the wash in Old White was just the ticket. You do such good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Greg! It's lovely to hear from you again! I have been meaning to write to you to tell you that I am very fond of your work as well! I recently fell in love with some beautifully painted and perfectly distressed little wooden finials at The Purple Pear! When Phyllis told me that they were your creations, I recognized your name from Facebook! You have left some very kind comments on some of my past work. So, I wanted to tell you that the feeling is mutual! Happy Painting! -Amanda

      Delete
  2. Amanda, this is gorgeous!
    If you ever consider selling it, please contact me before you take it to the store! I ahve been looking all over for a pedestal and this is perfect for what I need! If you have an idea where your Mom got it, I'd love to know that as well! I am a few hours away from where you are, but I am thinking of the oregon coast next week! Any info you might have would be great!
    You did a great job! I have been using grey gesso to do this kind of thing and it works amazing as well!
    hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy,
      Thank you! I had actually planned to take the pedestal to the shop this evening. I will send you an email in the next few minutes. My mom bought it over 20 years ago and she can't seem to remember where she got it.
      Talk to you soon!
      Amanda

      Delete
  3. It turned out beautifully! I have used ASCP yet, but I want to! Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison! And thank you for hosting Fridays Unfolded! I look forward to linking up again this week!

      Delete
  4. It's as though that column was just waiting for a girl with a paintbrush to come along--what a makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amanda, I love the column with the new paint job. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris! Yes, I will stop by to visit your blog as well! Thank you for the invitation! Amanda

      Delete
  6. It turned out beautiful! Love the color and the way it highlights all the detail :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise! I love this technique so much that anything with detail like this is getting a white wash these days! It's a quick update to lamps especially! Hope to catch up with you again soon! xoxo, Amanda

      Delete
  7. another fabulous transformation! looks just like a concrete piece, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra! That is just the finish I was going for, so it made me smile to read your comment! Have a wonderful week! I look forward to linking up another project on Thursday! Blessings,
      Amanda

      Delete
  8. Great work in transforming that decorative column. I've always found classical styles in decor and architecture fascinating and that column really epitomizes that style, after you've made it look like stone. The white wash paint is really amazing as well. I love everything about it. Kudos to you for the wonderful job!

    Arthur Bryant @ Contractor Express

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!