Sunday, February 23, 2014

Scalloped Cottage Cream Dresser Details

 
Last month, I replaced my husband's little old dresser of 12 years with a bigger, more masculine piece, painted with love and even monogrammed just for him!  You can see his new dresser here.  The old dresser had a makeover this week and made it's way to my shop space at Camas Antiques!
 
 
Annie Sloan's butter yellow color called, "Cream" lends itself to the cottage style so well.  It seemed the perfect color for this vintage dresser destined for a cozy cottage one day soon.
 
 
The hand painted scalloped design in Old White adds just the right amount of subtle detail to the drawers.  Painting scallops is easier than you might think.  I shared my method in a blog post last year.  You can find it here
 
 
Rather than do any distressing on this piece, I kept my brush strokes uneven and laid the paint on thickly.  After a coat of clear wax, I worked some dark wax into my brush strokes to accentuate them and give the finish an aged appearance.  I typically go this route when painting over something that was previously painted in a color that I don't want to show through my new finish.  It works as an alternative to a sanded back, distressed look.

 
I hope this sweet little dresser reaches it's cottage destination one day soon.  I think it would be lovely in a cozy bedroom, nursery, or even a vintage inspired bathroom.  Dressers are so versatile.
 
Thank you for your visit today!
Have a lovely week!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda
 
 

Sharing With:
Inspire me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life 
 Before and After Wednesday at The Decorated House
What's it Wednesday at Elephants and Ivy
Wow us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Inspiration Gallery at Craftberry Bush
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch To Yours
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground 
 Friday's Unfolded at Nancherrow

28 comments:

  1. I'm new to your blog, Amanda, I so enjoy how you explain what you did and why. Also, what color or colors used. I use ASCP for the most part. I love the versatility and range of colors that can be mixed using her paints. Thank you and have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi June,
      How very nice to hear from you! Thank you for your kind words! It's always fun to hear from another passionate painter! Have a wonderful week! -Amanda

      Delete
  2. I love this, how fun. The scallops are such a great touch. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marty! Thank you for hosting and again for the feature this week!
      Blessings,
      Amanda

      Delete
  3. amanda - you have the prettiest things! love following and seeing what you are doing.

    paula
    locksley lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment, Paula and for following along!
      Blessings,
      Amanda

      Delete
  4. I love your dresser transformation, and I love glass knobs! Very cute:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rhonda! I love glass knobs, too. They are all over my house! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  5. Your dresser is so pretty I love the little detail. You are very talented.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh I love this!!! Love the color...its so happy and cheerful. Also,Hello from Furniture
    Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, LeeLee! Lovely to hear from you!

      Delete
  7. This is so adorable.. The scallops totally make it and color is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  8. You've turned that old dresser into a charming piece of furniture! I love the sweet scallops.

    Visiting from FFF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and kind words, Vickie! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. So pretty! I love the buttery yellow and the scalloped trim! Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison! And thank you for hosting your fun party!

      Delete
  10. Such a beautiful piece Amanda! Thanx for partying at THT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela! And thanks for hosting!!!

      Delete
  11. Amanda, what a sweet look to this dresser. I have used ASCP Cream, so that wasn't too much of a surprised. What caught my attention was your charming scallop design with the little teardrops in between. Simple but very creative. The glass knobs complete your cottage look. I saw your link at From My Front Porch To Yours. Ann Marie @ Iris Abbey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Iris! So nice to hear from you! Your kind words made my day! Blessings, Amanda

      Delete
  12. So pretty. It will be beautiful anywhere it calls home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely thought, Sherry! Thank you! And thank you for hosting your party each week!

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra! And thank you for hosting your party each week! Blessings to you!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your sweet notes! I love hearing from you!